Saturday, December 24, 2011

Love Actually

"Love is all you need.." So goes the song, but is it true? Is love all you need? Richard Curtis' Love Actually proves that yes, it is.

Set in England in the weeks leading up to Christmas Eve, Love Actually chronicles how one searching for love can find it. Either it can involve a lot of searching or, in the case of many of the characters, the love of your life is right in front of you. (Being single myself, I rather have the second option.)

Curtis, whose most notable credit prior to Love Actually was writing Four Weddings and a Funeral, provides a certain charm within the characters and dialogue. It's not heavily British as you might think. In fact, it could be made set somewhere in the United States and it would still work (though I would advise against such a remake).

There are many notable names in Love Actually, British and American, Oscar winners and Oscar nominees. Of the stories in the movie, my favorites were those on Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Laura Linney and Martin Freeman. (I also liked the Liam Neeson story, but it feels tragically ironic now.)

Love Actually just works on so many levels. It's not contrived like many other modern romantic comedies; it's clever. I love the work from all of the actors. My only complaint is that it didn't focus enough on some of the characters. Boy, was I missing out.

My Rating: ****1/2

3 comments:

  1. I have slowly watched this lovely movie grow in stature since the year it came out. I keep seeing it mentioned again and again in Christmas Movie lists. I agree with you that the main complaint would be that I'd love to spend more time with many of these characters. A number of wonderful "movie" moments as well as Christmas moments in this holiday film that will become, I believe, a Christmas classic. Well written review, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Actually is my favorite modern holiday movie. I watch it at least twice a year. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this movie as my #2 non-traditional Christmas movie in my recent set of posts. I like it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.