Saturday, February 19, 2011

Images I Worship: 20 Favorite Movies

ActorsActressesDirectors. They have been covered in the last few days. What about what made them who they are? The very things that made them famous. Movies. In alphabetical order, here are twenty of my favorite movies.
12 Angry Men (Lumet, 1957)
The Apartment (Wilder, 1960)
Brokeback Mountain (Lee, 2005)
Ed Wood (Burton, 1994)
The Godfather Part II (Coppola, 1974)
The Grapes of Wrath (Ford, 1940)
Manhattan (Allen, 1979)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Capra, 1939)
Mystic River (Eastwood, 2003)
The Night of the Hunter (Laughton, 1955)
On the Waterfront (Kazan, 1954)
The Prestige (Nolan, 2006)
Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)
Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980)
Schindler's List (Spielberg, 1993)
Some Like It Hot (Wilder, 1959)
Sweet Smell of Success (Mackendrick, 1957)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Minghella, 1999)
The Thin Red Line (Malick, 1998)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Nichols, 1966)

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Ace in the Hole (Wilder, 1951)
Boogie Nights (Anderson, 1997)
Requiem for a Dream (Aronofsky, 2000)
Two Lovers (Gray, 2008)
Zodiac (Fincher, 2007)

7 comments:

  1. There are so many movies on that list that I haven't seen. I would say Boogie Nights and Zodiac are two of my top films though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid list, Anna. I haven't seen Ace in the Hole or Ed Wood so I'll have to get on those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many great films on this list. I love Requiem, Zodiac, Boogie Nights, The Thin Red Line, Some Like it Hot and The Apartment especially!

    There is one notable exception...The Prestige! Couldn't get into it at all. In my opinion it's Nolan's worst. Anyway! Some brilliant cinema here nonetheless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome choices, I can't disagree with any of them. In fact many of them are my favourites as well!
    Except The Prestige, I didn't like that film much...
    Great work though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Apartment, Sweet Smell of Success, Ace in the Hole, Manhattan, The Night of the Hunter? Yeah, we can be pals.

    I wrote a monolithic review of The Prestige reversing my once cool opinion of it and affirming it as easily Nolan's best film and one of the best of the last decade. I'm always pleased to find others who rate it so highly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice compilation got to see a lot of them, but the mention of Ed Woods, The Prestige and Talented Mr. Riley really makes me so happy . Love all three of them and its hard finding someone mentioning them as the favorite one.

    So a big thanks specially for keeping in Ed Woods ,its simply magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I've seen most of them and agree they belong on that list. The rest have been added to my Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.