Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sample Dialogue #2

ou might be seeing a bit of my sample writing from time to time. I just want to show it off, but it won't be confined to just bits from the pitch like last time.

INT. THE GILDED LILLY - EVENING (1958)


Janet sits in a booth, looking around for Max. She fears that he has dumped her. Then Max shows up, clad in a tuxedo. Janet gets up to greet him.


JANET
Hello, Max.

MAX
Oh, hi, Janet. Wow, you look great.

JANET
(smiling)
Thank you. So do you. Our booth's over here.

They walk over to the booth.

MAX
I would've been here earlier, but my car gave out on me when I got home from work.

JANET
Oh, it's all right.

MAX
(sitting down)
Boy, this is a nice place. How did you find out about it?

JANET
Oh, Roy brought me here on our anniversary.

MAX
Did you order drinks?

JANET
Yes, they'll be coming soon.

MAX
Does Roy know about this?

JANET
(dry)
Know about what?

MAX
You going out with me tonight.

She remains quiet as their drinks arrive. Janet nearly gulps down her entire drink.

MAX (CONT'D)
(hard tone)
Does he, Janet?

JANET
Why are you asking?

MAX
I'm just wondering.

JANET
No. I left before he came home from work.

MAX
(softer)
That wasn't so hard to answer, was it?

The music gets down to a slower pace.

MAX (CONT'D)
(offering hand)
May I have this dance?

JANET
(accepting hand)
You may.

They walk onto the dance floor. Janet rests her head on his chest, enjoying the moment.

MAX
(whispering)
You have no idea how much I'm in love with you.

He kisses Janet on the lips. They stop dancing and Janet almost storms back to the booth.

MAX (CONT'D)
What, Janet? What did I say?

JANET
(sitting down)
Max, you know I'm married.

MAX
I know that, Janet. And can I tell you something? I don't care.

JANET
I'm going home.

She takes out a ten dollar bill from her purse, tosses it on the table and gets up to leave.

MAX
(going after her)
Janet, wait.

JANET
(slightly irked)
What?

MAX
Look, I'm sorry for what I said. I just...wasn't thinking.

JANET
(calmer)
Apology accepted. Would you like a lift home?

MAX
Sure, thanks.

They walk out.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. JANET'S CAR - MID-EVENING (1958)

Janet is driving while Max sits on the passenger side.

MAX
Thanks again for driving me back.

JANET
No problem.

MAX
I wish Mary was like you. I mean, she was nice for the first few months of our marriage, but then I saw her true nature. She drank a lot. So much so, she could barely keep the house clean. She also let herself go. It took me a lot of nerve to finally admit to her that I wanted to leave her. But the day she killed herself was the day I wanted to tell her.
(beat)
You know...you're the only person I've told that to.

JANET
We're here.

MAX
We are?
(looks out window)
I'll be damned. We are.
(looks at Janet)
Would you like to come inside for a minute?

JANET
(turning off car)
Sure.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. MAX'S LIVING ROOM - MID-EVENING (1958)

The lighting is dim in the room. Soft music is playing. Max and Janet are sitting on the couch facing each other. Janet runs her finger over the rim of her martini glass.

MAX
When did you realize that Roy was cheating on you?

JANET
I noticed that he started acting differently when this Dave fellow joined the agency. I didn't think much of it when he was gone for an entire night. But my suspicions came true when Nancy --Roy's secretary and a friend of mine--called me earlier this week to tell me the extent of this so-called friendship between the two. I was absolutely devastated from what I heard.

MAX
Do you think you'll leave him?

JANET
I don't know, maybe.

He takes the glass from her hand and sets it on the table. He kisses her lightly on the nose.

MAX
I'm here for you.

JANET
Don't stop.

He continues kissing her. His mouth goes to her neck. She lets out a content sigh and closes her eyes. Her eyes shoot open when she hears a zipper being pulled down. She lightly pushes Max away and reaches for the zipper on the back of her dress.

JANET (CONT'D)
I'm sorry, Max. I'm not looking for that kind of relationship.

MAX
No, I'm sorry. I got a little carried away.

JANET
(getting up)
I should get going.

MAX
(keeping her down)
Just stay for a little while longer.

He gets up to change the record. Janet gets her glass and finishes off her drink. A slow jazz piece swells up. Max goes to Janet's side of the couch.

MAX
(offering hand)
May I have this dance?

JANET
(accepting hand)
You may.

They dance slowly to the music. Like earlier, Janet rests her head on Max's chest, enjoying the moment.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. FOYER - LATE EVENING (1958)

Janet quietly steps inside, trying not to wake Roy. She slips off her shoes.

ROY
So where have you been?

She jumps up and drops her shoes. She sees Roy in his bathrobe standing before her, a displeased look on his face.

ROY (CONT'D)
Well?

JANET
(lightly laughing, picking up shoes)
Oh, Roy, you scared me half to death!

ROY
(harder tone)
Where were you?

JANET
I just decided to live it up a little, that's all.

ROY
I see. And how did you get...
(pointing at Janet's neck)
...that?

He is pointing at a very noticeable mark on her neck. She covers it with her hand.

ROY (CONT'D)
Are you seeing someone else?

JANET
No!
(beat)
But I know that you are.

Roy's look softens. The jig is up.

ROY
How did you find out about that?

JANET
Nancy called earlier this week and told me.
(upset)
Why would you cheat on me, Roy? And with a man no less.

ROY
It feels right, Janet.

JANET
(forced bravado)
Look, either this Dave guy is out of your life or I am.

She storms up the stairs.

INT. BEDROOM - LATE EVENING (1958)

Janet places her shoes by the door and slips off her dress. She sits down at her vanity and wipes off her makeup. She takes off her earrings and notices the hickey. She suddenly starts to cry, her body convulsing. She quiets herself and gets into bed, only to bury her face into her pillow.

Roy walks into the room to find Janet in bed crying. He gets in bed beside her and tries to comfort her.

JANET
(crying)
Go away...

ROY
Janet, I'm really sorry.

JANET
Leave me alone...

ROY
How can I make it up to you?

JANET
Leave me alone...

ROY
Is that what you want, Janet?

She doesn't respond, only sobs.

ROY (CONT'D)
(quiet)
Okay, I'll do that.

He kisses her cheek, gets out of bed and leaves. Janet calms down, her eyes red and raw. She gets out of bed and goes to the phone on the dresser. She dials and waits for call to go through.

MAX (O.S.)
Hello?

JANET
Max, it's me.

MAX (O.S.)
Janet?

JANET
Yes, I need to tell you something.

MAX (O.S.)
What?

JANET
(crying)
I love you...

MAX (O.S.)
(calm)
Oh, Janet, don't cry. It's going to be okay.

JANET
Max, I'm in love with a man I've only known for a few weeks! And I'm married! How is it going to be okay?

MAX (O.S.)
It will, Janet. Believe me.

JANET
Okay, okay...

MAX (O.S.)
I love you, Janet.

JANET
(tearing up)
I...love you too, Max.

She hangs up and cries. She walks into the bathroom. She turns the faucet and splashes water on her face. She notices Roy's razor and picks it up. She holds it above her wrist, but throws it down. She crumples to the floor and hugs herself, now a complete wreck.

JANET (CONT'D)
(weak)
Oh God, help me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.