Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind, as we all know, is considered one of the greatest movies ever made. Some call it a Civil War epic. Others call it a love story. So what is Gone with the Wind about? I consider it a tale of a woman's vanity and greed.

We're first introduced to Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) when she discovers that her beloved Ashley Wilkes (Leslie Howard) is going to marry his cousin Melanie Hamilton (Olivia de Havilland). The next scene has her both trying to win Ashley's love and make him jealous by pursuing other men, much to no avail on both counts. It's also in this scene we're introduced to Rhett Butler (Clark Gable), to whom Scarlett takes an immediate dislike to.

The vanity comes in during the Civil War scenes. As Melanie is in labor, Scarlett goes into town to get the town's only doctor. In a now-famous image, we see hundreds, if not thousands, of wounded soldiers. Does Scarlett express any remorse? Hell no. All she cares about is getting the doctor.

Greed comes into full view once Scarlett marries Rhett. By the time he proposes, she has been married and widowed twice, barely expressing any grief for her husbands' deaths. It's clear she married him for money. After all, just look at their house.

Everyone is aware of Scarlett's self-centered behavior, everyone except Melanie. She always welcomes Scarlett with a smile while everyone else gives her a sneer. Is Melanie oblivious of Scarlett lusting for Ashley or did she turn a blind eye? We never do find out.

I did admire Leigh's work as Scarlett, but she was too much of a pain in the neck to really like. That being said, Rhett saying, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" to her was totally worth it.

My Rating: *****

10 comments:

  1. Good movie, but not one I will ever see again. It's just too long and it's more a movie that will interest women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts on vanity and greedth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you finally saw this and enjoyed it. I've always had a soft spot for this as it's one of the first Hollywood films I saw growing up. I totally understand your assessment about Scarlet, she is vain and greedy all right, but man does have a will to survive! I don't think Melanie is oblivious about Scarlet's love for her husband (I mean it's impossible not to notice), I think she chooses to see the good side of Scarlet. Melanie is a true friend who loves her for who she was, warts and all. And yeah, LOVE that quote. No wonder it's one of the most famous quotes of all time. I think the way Rhett said it is also what made it so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A classic but damn, it's a long movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I terribly love this movie.
    For me it's a story about love to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my most favourite movies. Could watch it any time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been ages since I've seen this film and although I enjoyed it - as well as the novel, which is one of my favorites - I could never appreciate Scarlett as a character. It's hard to be sympathetic towards her, but there are a lot of characters in literary history that the reader can't find sympathy for (Emily Bronte's Heathcliff, for example), yet they endure. Wuthering Heights actually taught me the art of respecting the unsympathetic character, and I think Vivien gives the kind of performance as Scarlett that commands respect on its own. Still, Rhett's "Frankly, my dear" does become a highlight. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this film...No wait, I LOVED THIS FILM and always have. Every time the opening title comes up I get goosebumps and I grin. This movie has humor, romance, sorrow, mourning, and makes you really appreciate the life that our ancestors had to live through. It touches me so much and I just can't get enough of this movie. I reccommend it to every single person out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite movie of all times!!! Love everything about it. It's about life!!! Portrays ALL the human emotions and sooooooo beautifully done - great story, so very pleasing-to-the-eyes top-rated extraordinary actors, breath-taking sceneries, wonderfully directed, sensational costumes, riveting every second ~ don't want to blink your eye fantastic, I could just explode with all the highest praises I could think of about Gone With the Wind ~ not to mention, that hauntingly, oh-so-sad, will-tug-at-the-center-of-your-being incredibly magnificent movie's musical theme.... I'm through ..... for the moment... Plenty more where these are from...I LOVE "GONE WITH THE WIND" & Scarlett, Rhett, Ashley, Melanie, Mamie, and everyone in the movie and all who contributed to its making....THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH for giving us this gift, this incomparable treasure for life. May God bless you all and those who are now in heaven & all your families left behind.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.