Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Changeling

In recent years, it seems that Clint Eastwood is becoming a shadow of his former self in regards with his directing. Yeah, so some of his recent entries are lacking, but it doesn't generally mean he's thrown in the towel.

His 2008 film Changeling shows that he still has it in him. He captures a very similar mood Curtis Hanson got with L.A. Confidential. In fact, all of the elements in Changeling work fantastically by themselves as they do together.

Angelina Jolie isn't exactly someone I'm crazy about. (I blame the media overexposure.) I usually only view her as a movie star, but Changeling made me realize that she can act. We witness the hardships she endures throughout the film. You simply can't (or don't want to) believe the things she goes through.

The supporting actors of Changeling are great as well. John Malkovich and Michael Kelly are the lone saviors of the film. Jeffrey Donovan makes the cops in L.A. Confidential look honest. Amy Ryan exposes the dark side of the L.A.P.D., which could make one doubt their trust towards the law. Jason Butler Harner is the embodiment of a demented mind and it's bloody brilliant.

If I wasn't clear enough, I loved Changeling. Nothing about it feels off-key. Everything is pitch perfect. The acting, the direction, the mood...everything. Just goes to show that Eastwood still has it in him.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. I love this movie so much! The young actor that played Sanford really stood out to me as well. He turned in a hell of a performance for the few minutes he was on screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention on twitter, that yes Amy Ryan is excellent. Such a fantastic character actor, and one of the minor things I love about this one is its period details. Remember the bit where Christine is talking about the Oscars' and thinking that "It Happened One Night" should win? Such a sweet, if innocuous, moment.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.