Sunday, April 17, 2011

Counterfeit Casting: Cary Grant

Judging by the response I got on the Richard Burton one a while back, I decided to make this a running feature. This time, we got Archibald Leach, better known as Cary Grant. Suave, sophisticated, charming. Who has the same traits that made Grant who he was?

CANDIDATE #1: George Clooney
YES
Seriously, how has this not happened yet? Clooney is exactly what Grant was. Plus, if you do a photo comparison, you can see resemblance between the two.
NO
Not sure if Clooney can pull off a British accent.

CANDIDATE #2: Clive Owen
YES
Owen returns again to possibly portray another legendary actor from his native country. Owen, like Grant and Clooney, is suave, sophisticated and charming. I basically chose him because he and Grant share a similarity: both turned down to play James Bond. That's gotta be a sign for something, right?
NO
I hear from a source that he is, um, too manly to play Grant. This source, I'll add, is female to add a touch of irony.

CANDIDATE #3: Robert Downey, Jr.
YES
Downey has the same type of persona Grant had, the kind that has people noticing him. And we already know that Downey can pull off a British accent, as shown in Chaplin and Sherlock Holmes.
NO
I wouldn't exactly consider Downey as charming as Grant, judging by a few of Downey's previous roles. In a way, Downey is more cad than charmer, also shown in Chaplin and Sherlock Holmes.

I can already guess that everyone will agree on Clooney, but let me know what you think of Owen and Downey. Be sure to mention a few others too.

6 comments:

  1. Clooney would be my choice as well. They're both great comedians and they both look at home in a tuxedo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLOONEY!!!
    And no one else...He truly channels the original Hollywood hunks. I picture him as Clark Gable too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah Clooney is the most perfect choice. and lollll at me being a source. but it's true! Clive could play Burton because they were both beasts, but not Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, god no Clooney; but damn I can't think of a candidate. Gut reaction is Ewan McGregor actually, who I think could surprise me...but not Clooney...not Clooney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen Touch of Pink? Kyle MacLachlan plays Cary Grant pretty convincingly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although Clooney is a good pick, what about Pierce Brosnan?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.