Sunday, October 14, 2012

Seven Psychopaths

It's weird. When I saw In Bruges a few years back, it left me feeling nauseous. (That finale was gruesome.) Yet when I saw Martin McDonagh's new film Seven Psychopaths, I didn't feel the same way afterwards. (Then again, I did get my fill of Scorsese, Tarantino and Refn by then.)

Seven Psychopaths is actually quite similar to In Bruges. The main differences are the location and the actors. Instead of a film set in Belgium starring Brendan Gleeson, Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes, you've got a Los Angeles-set film starring Farrell, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson. (In those exact roles nonetheless.)

Apparently McDonagh has a penchant for three particular characters: the disoriented average Joe (played here by Rockwell), the straight man (Farrell) and the trigger-crazy madman (Harrelson). I'm not complaining, mind you. I just wonder if his future films will have those specific characters.

Anyway, onto the actors. Rockwell was my favorite with Farrell and Harrelson a close second. Christopher Walken and Tom Waits were also quite entertaining. Oh, and the cameos by Michael Stuhlbarg, Michael Pitt and Harry Dean Stanton were a nice bonus. I must say, McDonagh knows how to pick choice actors.

Seven Psychopaths is a little better than In Bruges but not by a significant amount. The actors are entertaining as is McDonagh's script. Try to catch it when it's in theaters because there's a certain allure to it that way.

My Rating: ****1/2

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, I can't wait for this movie! Loved In Bruges and Fiennes's performance there was one of the funniest I've seen, can't wait to see what Harrelson does in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. Such an unpredictable, funny, and dark tale that only gets more entertaining as it goes along. It's not as near-perfect as In Bruges, but still a whole of fun all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked In Bruges, though -- yes -- the finale was brutal. :-) I am really looking forward to Seven Psychopaths. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. similar to In Bruges, eh? wow. that is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better than In Bruges? Wow. My expectations just went through the roof.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.