Friday, August 12, 2011

Modern Times

Being the classic film freak that I am, you'd think I've seen a number of silent films. In reality, that's the one area I'm lacking in. Well, I saw City Lights several years ago, but I barely remember it.

That doesn't mean I'm not trying to watch them. After all, I continually hear how excellent they are. But considering there are so many out there, it's hard to choose which one to watch first.

So I chose to watch Modern Times, Charlie Chaplin's last silent film. I do love a good laugh every now and again. Most comedy I like is verbal (ie, Billy Wilder), but then I realized the best comedy is physical.

Afterwards, I realized that I should venture into Chaplin's films more. After all, when discussing comedy, Chaplin's one of the first names brought up. Modern Times captures the struggles of the Great Depression but adds humor to lighten the mood. In short, comic genius.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. Modern Times is probably my favorite Chaplin film. You mentioned City Lights. Others I would recommend are The Kid and The Gold Rush.

    If you are looking for some other silent films to see, try Harold Lloyd's comedies Safety Last! and The Freshman, Buster Keaton's comedies The General and Our Hospitality, Fritz Lang's Metropolis (I reviewed it here - http://tipsfromchip.blogspot.com/2011/03/movie-metropolis-1927.html), Murnau's Nosferatu, and perhaps the best silent film drama The Passion of Joan of Arc.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.