Tuesday, August 9, 2011

High and Low

Not to offend Ryan, but I haven't seen much of Akira Kurosawa's work. But believe me, I'm trying really hard to catch up.

Having seen only Seven Samurai beforehand, it was interesting to see Kurosawa make a movie in a modern setting. (In this case, 1960's Japan.) We get a glimpse of the country at that time. And, boy, is it gritty.

High and Low also features several Kurosawa regulars, including Toshiro Mifune. They give immense depth to their performances as they try to find out who is responsible for the crime that is so unthinkable.

OKay, now I'm starting to see why several movie lovers I know love Kurosawa so much. And being the criminology freak that I am, I was bound to love it. Indeed I did. After all, it showcases perfectly the anatomy of a crime.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. I recommend Drunken Angel and especially Ikiru. Check them out. You'll be amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome flick indeed. I felt it took a little bit too long to unfold but overall, very small complaint in comparison of everything else being done right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I agree with Yojimbo_5. You have to see Ikuru.

    I would also recommend Throne of Blood. It's Macbeth translated into a Japanese setting and it fits quite well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.