Friday, October 5, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods

When you see the poster for Drew Goddard's The Cabin in the Woods, you'd think it would be the typical bad horror movie. But then you see it's produced and co-written by Joss Whedon, then it becomes more interesting to watch.

But is it? Absolutely. The fact that Goddard and Whedon take every horror movie cliche and give it a new variation makes it all the more fun to watch. (It also got me more intrigued to venture into the mind of Whedon.)

Of course most recent horror movies have the typical stock characters: the slut, the jock, the brainiac, the party animal and the virgin. Well, so does The Cabin in the Woods, but Goddard and Whedon just overplay that to the point where it becomes a perfect parody.

Seriously, I just love the script. You just don't see that much cleverness in movies nowadays. Honestly, more horror movie directors need to take note of (and maybe surrender to) the genius that is Joss Whedon. (Yes, I will be watching more of his stuff in the near future.)

Okay, to sum things up, I pretty much loved The Cabin in the Woods. And I have to admit, Goddard and Whedon have some pretty dark minds. (Is Buffy the Vampire Slayer anyway like this?) Seriously, it's fantastic though.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. Buffy has a similar tone in undercutting horror with humor. It's not as consistently clever as this film, but I think that's because it's hard to pour this amount of nuance into every episode of a TV show.

    I'd recommend it. The show's a lot of fun and probably the best place to start if you want to get into Whedon's TV work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is easily one of my favorite films of the year. I'm glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.