Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Submarine

It's really fascinating to see the starting themes in a director's work. Sometimes it takes a few films before you really see the themes but on those few occasions, you'll see those themes within the first film.

Take for instance Richard Ayoade's Submarine. Ayoade, perhaps more recognizable for his work on The IT Crowd, proves himself as a sort of English Wes Anderson. Quirky without being too unconventional, funny without getting too strange. I look forward to what else Ayoade has to offer.

But what is Submarine about? Nothing nautical or naval oriented but rather it's a coming of age story. The film revolves around Oliver Tate (Craig Roberts), a young lad trying to win over his classmate Jordana Bevan (Yasmin Paige). He's also trying to keep his parents' marriage intact.

The actors are quite good. Noah Taylor, Sally Hawkins and Paddy Considine make the most of their supporting work. But the stars of Submarine are definitely Roberts and Paige. They just get their characters wonderfully.

All in all, Submarine isn't anything too fantastic but it certainly has its moments. (A few of them involve breaking the fourth wall.) As I've stated above, I look forward to what else Ayoade has to offer. Speaking of which, his upcoming film looks pretty good. (Oh, and I approved of the few songs from Arctic Monkeys frontman Alex Turner in the soundtrack.)

My Rating: ****

2 comments:

  1. I looooooooooovvvveeee this film. It's the kind of film I would like to make. And oh man, that soundtrack <3 Alex Turner is a man after my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one, but it sounds like something I would like. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.