Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sex and the Single Girl

I try hard to avoid the blemishes in an actor's filmography, but I have to give in once I've seen the better movies of their career. It may be sinking to a new low, but I don't care since I know other people do it as well.

Sex and the Single Girl stars three actors I call favorites (Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda, Lauren Bacall) and an actress I moderately like (Natalie Wood). They're all good actors, so what are they doing in a movie like this? I mean, considering some of the movies they've been in, this is practically an insult.

Don't blame me. I knew this was a crap movie before I even saw it. (I was suckered in, I tells ya!) Curiosity got the better of me. Besides, I've seen enough good movies this year alone to tide me over. I need to see a bad movie every now and again too, you know.

This is just a downright silly movie. (The final third seals its fate.) It has its moments, but they're fleeting. I wouldn't say this is something I regretted watching once it was over. This is actually a good thing; I now have a guilty pleasure.

My Rating: ***

3 comments:

  1. I think Lauren Bacall said it best in her autobiography: "A very good cast but not a very good film".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, it's an insanely campy film and also a little draggy at times (the car chase near the end seems to go on forever). I only watched this film to catch an early uncredited appearance by one of my favorite international actresses, but when it was over I did find it mildly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the movies people should see (along with Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back) that people should see to really appreciate the movie Down With Love that spoofed them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.