Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dracula

To most horror movie fans, the 1930's marked the starting point of the genre. That's definitely true if you consider the the titles released from that time period.

On of them is Dracula. No denying that Bela Lugosi is one freaky vampire. The Hungarian accent and that look in his eyes prove that. Seriously, try not to get spooked out by his close-up with that beam of light over his eyes.

One aspect of Dracula I like is the lack of music. Most horror movies use music to build up suspense. (Psycho, anyone?) I think the absence of music makes it more suspenseful than if there was music, but that's just me.

Dracula is very good but considering the number of horror movies I've seen prior to this, the scare factor was relatively low. Still, Lugosi is a spooky vampire. Take that, Twilight.

My Rating: ****1/2

3 comments:

  1. This one is so much better than that God-awful Dracula 2000. I'd have to say the 1992 verison with Gary Oldman is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one since I was a kid, but I greatly enjoyed it back then. The Universal horror films were a big part of my youth. Glad you liked it, and I'll echo Brittani in saying that Coppola's Dracula is also my favorite version. I just reviewed the 50s Hammer version with Christopher Lee and that one was pretty awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havențt watched this movie, but the Hungarian accent drew me in! Dracula is from Transylvania, which is a part of Romania, the country next to Hungary! I am not a big fan of horror movies, but maybe I should give this one a try, since it is close to my culture! Did you read the book by Bram Stoker?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.