Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Atlantic City

Usually when a famous actor gets older, their choice in parts gets limited considerably. They're typically parts that almost ridicule the actor's status in Hollywood, though there are a few exceptions.

Burt Lancaster in Atlantic City is one of those exceptions. He gives one of his best performances as aging gangster Lou Pascal. He has witnessed the many changes in Atlantic City. It's clear in his behavior that he himself has gone through many changes. But one look into his eyes and you see there's still some liveliness within him.

Enter Sally Matthews (Susan Sarandon), a waitress and Lou's neighbor. She gives him the last bit of youth within him. She also brings out more in Lou. Take note of his behavior towards the end. He becomes more carefree than careful with his actions.

Atlantic City is one of the best movies of the 1980's. The performances are so nuanced, they just work flawlessly. It's not one to be missed.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. A great film from one of my favourite directors, Louis Malle. He primarily made French films in the 60s and 70s but also made some movies in America. Of his American films, this is probably his best. But, being a French film nerd, I think his French films are all better (his most well-known French film is 1987's AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS, about two children in the Holocaust).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Tyler, Malle is one of my favorites too, however I have yet to see this one. Hopefully I'll get my hands on it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, i'm just joining the bandwagon here but Louis Malle is a superb director of French language films. I'm very much looking forward to this as part of our noir-a-thon though. I'm glad you think it's 5 star good, I was anticipating being disappointed by it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.