Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jackie Brown

There are certain people I watch in moderation. One of them is Quentin Tarantino. His movies may be well-scripted, but damn, they're bloody. (And sweary.) That doesn't mean I don't like his movies however.

I think the reason for why I like Jackie Brown more is because it's more under control. I say that because it's based on a book by Elmore Leonard. It still has that Tarantino attitude within the dialogue. (Believe me, it's quite easy to pick up on.)

Tarantino is noted for restarting the careers of once-big names and in Jackie Brown, he does that for Pam Grier and Robert Forster. Both are at their A-game in this. I personally love the look on Forster's face when he first sees Grier. (On an ironic note, Jackie Brown co-stars Bridget Fonda and Michael Keaton, two actors Hollywood has lost interest in.)

To some, Jackie Brown feels out of place among Tarantino's work because, as I stated earlier, it's more under control than Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Here's a tip: don't believe what they say. Jackie Brown is just as good as Tarantino's other work. If don't believe me, watch it for yourself.

My Rating: *****

7 comments:

  1. I am really glad you gave a practically glowing review of Jackie Brown! It is definitely my favourite Tarantino by far, mainly because it isn't really like his other films. And the fact that it is based on a previous source probably helps, too. (Though, as we all know, Tarantino plucks most of his ideas from other films, it is a little different being an adaptation of a book.)

    And it is quite possible that I swear more than all the characters in a Tarantino film combined...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with both you guys. Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino film, and about as close to a perfect film as I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not my favorite Tarantino, but I had immediate affection for Jackie Brown after I watched it. It's kind of a relief not to have this over the top kinetic movie for once, even though it's still chatty and action-filled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last paragraph suggest that you have talked to Jackie Brown haters. Which is strange since my experience when this movie comes to discussion is that some call it their favourite to be be cool. As have I.

    Also, the movie is still awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found Tarantino to be a bit "too hip for his own good" until Jackie Brown, which I found to be an all-around good movie from start to finish.

    Interestingly, Michael Keaton shows up again as Ray Nicolette in Out of Sight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has over the years become my favourite Tarantino! I know I'm in a very small minority.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jackie Brown as well. I always thought it was Tarantino's best until Inglourious Basterds came and took the top spot for me. JB is much more restrained and classically constructed than his first two. Everyone is great in this, with Pam Grier and Robert Forster both standing out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.