Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Black Narcissus

When it comes to old movies, I prefer black and white. I'm not too big on Technicolor, but there are a few exceptions to my choice.

One of them is Black Narcissus, shot beautifully by Jack Cardiff. He was probably one of the few names in cinematography who used Technicolor as an advantage. Most movies with Technicolor look garish and tacky. Not Black Narcissus. Like The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus is gorgeous.

There's just something so appealing about people of the cloth having more than just a little bit temptation boiling within them. In Black Narcissus, that is in the form of Kathleen Byron as Sister Ruth. Man, she is demented. She gives looks that could make the blood in a Kubrick villain run cold. That look in her eyes...ugh, just thinking about it gives me the creeps.

Black Narcissus is filmmaking at its finest. The blending of a good story, fine acting (especially from Deborah Kerr and Byron) and glorious cinematography work fantastically in unison. I praised The Red Shoes a lot yesterday; I'm praising Black Narcissus more today.

My Rating: *****

4 comments:

  1. I was actually planning to watch this last weekend but did not get around to it. Based on your review, I will definitely have to watch this in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this last night, based on your recommendation and James' shared enthusiasm. I loved it. A beautiful film that is genuinely tense and goes to some shocking places. Brilliant performances, and all-round stellar filmmaking from the duo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard nothing but great things about this. If you indeed liked this more than The Red Shoes, than I truly need to stop messing around and just see it! Maybe after October and all the horror movies are over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved, and love, Black Narcissus, and I am so glad you felt the same way about it, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.