Saturday, October 8, 2011

21 Grams

Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu is one of those directors whose movies stand out from the rest. They're movies that wouldn't work if made by other directors.

Take 21 Grams for instance. The way the movie is constructed is the surefire way of telling it's Inarritu's work. It's not told in normal time like other movies but rather where the story is told in fragmented time. You have to pay close attention to the movie to get a good understanding of the tale Inarritu is telling.

Also pay close attention to the acting by Sean Penn, Naomi Watts (in perhaps her least glamorous role), Benicio del Toro and Melissa Leo. They're acting not only with their words and bodies but also their eyes. One look into any of their eyes reveals more than anything they'll say.

21 Grams is a very good movie, though it might be a little too gritty and depressing for some people. The work from Penn, Watts, del Toro and Leo is fantastic, probably some of the best work I've seen from any actors. (Don't ask me to pick my favorite; that'd be impossible for me to choose one.) One of the best movies of the last decade.

My Rating: ****1/2

7 comments:

  1. Great review. I thought this film was really well-done, but it isn't as great as Babel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I love your note about them acting with their eyes--it's so true. Definitely an excellent movie worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you said a bit too gritty. I find that the film just wallowed in its sadness and dreary tone. Bland and rather unsatisfying. Glad you took something away from it.

    Perhaps a second viewing on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my favorite performance by naomi watts. it really shows some depth as an actress. and i love innaritu, love the way he tells stories. benicio del toro is always amazing in this, his best performance to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's just me, but I loved how depressing and sad this movie was. It's a sad and depressing story, and I thought the material was given a very just treatment. And, yeah, the acting is flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't see the acting or anything else much of this film due to the haze created by my flooding eyes for the entire duration! Too sad... great movie but like 'Monster', I may not ever be able to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually just wrote a review of this film for my Movies by the Numbers set I am doing. I should be posting it in the next couple of days.

    This is a great film and for me Watts was the best thing about it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.