Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Shop Around the Corner

When an old movie needed an actor to play the likable lead, the first choice was always Jimmy Stewart. For good reason too. He had this nature that makes people notice him.

He and Margaret Sullavan are Alfred Kralik and Klara Novak, bickering co-workers at a department store. Unbeknown to both of them, they're pen pals falling in love with each other.

I'm not a fan of romance movies, but I'm a sucker for the old ones. I like the old ones because they weren't forced like the current ones; they focus on the slow-burning passion between the two lovers.

Stewart, as usual, had me smiling from his performance. The Shop Around the Corner is one of the sweetest movies I've seen. Like It's a Wonderful Life and Harvey before it, I was smiling from ear to ear from the ending.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. I certainly agree with you on Jimmy Stewart and how enjoyable this film is. Syrupy sweetness which I didn't mind because of the cast.

    Stewart is one of those actors who just makes me smile whatever character he's playing. He was just so darn lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love James Stewart. Enjoy most all of his work that I've seen. I might have to check this one out. I actually just saw Harvey the other day for the first time and really enjoyed that one. Being a Hitchcock fan, I've also seen all his collaboration with him and enjoyed every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it weird that of the three versions of this, the most obscure one (In the Good Old Summertime) is the first one I saw, and this original one was the last one I saw? (You've Got Mail was somewhere in between.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.