Friday, August 17, 2012

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Okay, let's get a few things out of the way. Yes, prior to yesterday, I had not seen any of The Lord of the Rings films in their entirety. (I have seen them in snippets years ago.) I don't want to hear anything else about this, all right? Okay, moving on.

The first part of Peter Jackson's trilogy struck me as interesting. This was branded for years as unfilmable (is that a word?), and Jackson blew that theory clear out of the water. (Gotta love it when that happens.) Mind you, that's only one of several things I'm talking about here.

Another aspect of the film that caught my fancy was that none of the actors felt out of place. If I had to pick favorites though, I'd choose Ian McKellen because he dominates the screen, Viggo Mortensen because of sexy reasons, and Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd because they're just hilarious together. (What? Everyone has favorites and reasons.)

Okay, there are two more things I want to talk about, then I'll be quiet (for now). Andrew Lesnie's cinematography and Howard Shore's score are just gorgeous. Like Freddie Young and Maurice Jaffe's contributions to Lawrence of Arabia, they define what an epic should look and sound like.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is all sorts of awesome and beautiful. It also left me wanting more. Thank God for the two sequels.

My Rating: *****

4 comments:

  1. Once you see all three you will be ready for the Hobbit in December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you finally watched this! That's great and I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as you did. I have to agree that the contributions of the cinematography and the score to the movie's success are huge. I hope you enjoy the sequels too! I enjoy them all equally but I think this one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked this. It's a magical film and so beautifully rendered.

    Also, Cate Blanchett.

    ReplyDelete
  4. XD My favourite is Craig Parker as Haldir, the elf they meet in Lothlorien. Aside from that I love Frodo and Aragorn, and my other favourites appear in the next two. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
    Peter Jackson is the boss!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.