Saturday, August 11, 2012

Shaun of the Dead

Who doesn't like a good comedy? It can either be in the story, the script or the actors that can make it hilarious.

In the case of Edgar Wright's Shaun of the Dead, it's all three. It's also a spoof of the films that made George A. Romero a household name, so that's a nice touch. You need a good spoof every now and again.

Wright I was already familiar with from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and star Simon Pegg from Star Trek. I figured I should see an earlier work of theirs sooner or later, so I opted for Shaun of the Dead.

I think one of the best things about Shaun of the Dead was that the zombie infestation isn't treated as a big deal for the first half hour. News reports get ignored, odd behavior in people is viewed as drinking too much, things like that. It's a sneaky move by Wright.

It loses its way towards the end, but Shaun of the Dead is still funny as hell. There are a few moments that might make weak stomachs ill, but I suppose that's a good thing for a zombie movie. Oh, and Pegg is damn hilarious. (Why didn't I discover him sooner?)

My Rating: ****1/2

4 comments:

  1. Pegg and Frost (best onscreen couple ever).
    This is my favourite comedy film. It is never not entertaining. Watch Hot Fuzz next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve enjoyed all of Romero’s work, and so watching a well-done spoof was quite the treat. I’ve yet to see Hot Fuzz, but I do agree that Pegg and Frost have a hilarious screen presence together. One of my co-workers at Dish recommended that I check them out in Paul, and I thought they were great despite the fact that the movie itself wasn’t good. It’s a good thing that I pay so little to rent an unlimited amount of movies through Blockbuster @Home; otherwise, I would have been so mad if I actually paid to watch Paul. With hope that Hot Fuzz is nothing like Paul, I’ll add it to my Blockbuster @Home queue- thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  2. I thought this was such a funny movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost really are a great pair.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.