Friday, August 3, 2012

The Liebster Award

Oy, another award? I like 'em, but not as much as I should. Anyway, thank you EthanKyleTrevorToby and Diana for giving me this award. Okay, rules (there's always a catch to these things):
  1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
  2. Answer the 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you.
  3. Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.
  4. Choose 11 people to award and send the a link to your post.
  5. Go to their page and tell them.
  6. No tag backs.
And because I got tagged five times, I get 55 questions to answer. (I hate you all.) Okay, enough whining. Let's get this over with.


11 Things About Me
  1. I have a scar under my left eye from stupidly standing behind my younger brother as he was up at bat with an aluminum bat. (Yes, it hurt like a motherfucker.)
  2. I am a perfectionist and a procrastinator.
  3. I prefer watching my movies in one sitting. I don't like pausing and starting up several days later.
  4. I've recently gotten a slight addiction to British TV.
  5. I don't think I could live without the internet.
  6. I prefer watching movies at home, but there's a charm in watching them at the theater.
  7. I used to watch TV a lot, but now it's just for background noise.
  8. When I write stories, sometimes I use celebrities as models (not generally influences) for some characters.
  9. My tumblr is pretty much a photo gallery.
  10. My social skills suck.
  11. Criminology is one of my non-film related interests.

Which do you prefer: Foreign films or English-language films?
I like both.

Black and white or color?
See last question.

Has any film changed the way you look at something? If so, which one and what did it change?
Um, Requiem for a Dream made me never want to do drugs ever.

What part of the filmmaking process interests you the most?
The script, the cinematography and the score.

Have you started working on creating your own films?
I've been working on a script for about a year now.

Did you discover film on your own or did someone expose you to it?
The former.

What’s your favorite genre?
I'm quite partial to crime films.

Do you just enjoy watching films, is it actually a career path that you want to pursue, or do you already work in the film industry?
I just like watching movies and writing about them.

When a novel is adapted to film do you read the book before watching it or vice versa?
I'm more of a "book then movie" kind of person.

What do you think is the most powerful creative medium? Why?
Music because it can spur certain feelings when, at least for me, you're writing.

What’s the best use of music you’ve ever seen in film?
I love the scene in Shame where Carey Mulligan is singing "New York, New York".


How has film influenced day to day living?
I wouldn't have this blog if it didn't influence me, now would I?

What film has had the most impact on who you are as a person?
See question #3 from the previous list.

Godard or Truffaut? Why?
Although I've seen more Godard films, I'm siding with Truffaut. His films are lot more lighter than what Godard offers.

What is your favorite era or wave of film?
It's a toss up between French New Wave and Italian neorealism.

What is a film you wish you liked more, but for some reason can't?
I'm not too crazy about Citizen Kane. From a technical standpoint, I can understand why it's so great. But I think the hype killed it a little.

If you could remake a film, what film would it be, who would recast for the leads, and what would you change about it?
Ah, crap. Okay, um, Sabrina (the Billy Wilder version) with Carey Mulligan (Audrey Hepburn), Christian Bale (Humphrey Bogart) and Ryan Gosling (William Holden). Not sure I'd change anything.

What is the best remake of a film you've seen and what did they do right with it?
Batman Begins. (Okay, it's a reboot, but whatever.) Burton's movies were mostly for entertainment value; Nolan 

Are you a proponent of the auteur theory?
More or less.

If you collaborate with a director on a project, who would it be and what would the project be?
David Fincher on a crime film. (Something that's a mix of Se7en and Zodiac.)

Do you prefer black and white cinematography or color?
Black and white.


What is the most number of films you've watched in a single day?
Three. Thirteen, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.
Trevor's Questions

Are there any films where you like the remake better than the original? If so, what?
See question #7 from the previous list.


Do you keep up with film news or just wait in anticipation?
Depends on the film.

Is there a DVD/Blu-ray that you like the special features more than the film itself?
Nah. If I buy a DVD, it's for the film. (That might change when The Avengers gets on DVD with its gag reel.)

Many books are adapted into movies. Is it a viable argument to say that the movie is bad just because it's different than you envisioned when you read the book?
Well, that or the screenwriter read what he wanted to know about the book off of SparkNotes or Wikipedia.

My dad and I were talking about the Sight and Sound poll. He found it pretentious. I asked him what he thought the greatest movie of all time was. His answer: Sahara. His reasoning: it’s his favorite. (It’s a somewhat enjoyable action comedy.) Anyways my question is: is something being your favorite ample reason to think something is the best or even great?
Well, most of my favorite films are on lists commemorating the best cinema has to offer, so I can't really say.

Should Alan Smithee's be allowed or are they just an excuse for a mediocre film? (Examples: David Lynch with Dune, Stanley Kubrick with Spartacus)
The latter for the most part. (Man, if Lumet did that with The Wiz, that would've been super.)

What is a film you love from a director whose films you normally dislike?
Michael Haneke's Code Unknown was pretty damn good, even though I was underwhelmed by The Piano Teacher and absolutely despised the original Funny Games.

What is your favorite high school movie?
The Breakfast Club, I suppose.

What is your favorite film movement? (Examples: German Expressionism, Italian Neorealism, Kitchen Sink Realism, Mumblecore, New French Extremity)
See question #4 from the previous list.

What is your most anticipated film of the rest of 2012?
The Hobbit. (Still need to see The Lord of the Rings trilogy though.)

Who is an actor/actress that most people find attractive that you just don't?
Angelina Jolie. I think it's just the media displaying her as a sex symbol.

If the events of Purple Rose of Cairo could really happen, which movie character would you want to walk off of the screen in to your miserable little life?
C.C. Baxter from The Apartment. He just seems like a really swell guy to be with.

If you were marooned on another planet with a limited space hard drive on your solar powered Macbook Pro (I'm sure Steve Jobs had them working on this before he died) what three movies would you like to have in your videos folder?
The Apartment, Charade and Day for Night.

Is reading 50 Shades of Grey on public transport a badge of pride, a cry for help, a statement of sexual dissatisfaction or a label that screams "easily led by media fads"?
Honey, you're asking this to someone who will never read a single word from that waste of paper. But I'd go with the fourth choice.

If you had to live in the world of crime fiction would you prefer to be in an Agatha Christie, Raymond Chandler or Steig Larsson book?
Raymond Chandler.

You're stranded for 227 days in a boat with one animal, do you think a Bengal Tiger would eat you?
I might eat the tiger first.

What superhero franchise would you give a dark and depressing Batman style reboot to on the big screen?
I'm not much for superhero movies, but The Incredible Hulk would be interesting.

Gotham Central is a series of comic books about the lives of the gotham City Police Department and Death Comes To Pemberley is a detective novel set in the world of Pride and Prejudice, what fictional world would you like to see turned in to crime fiction and what type would it be?
I don't know, I like the worlds Mario Puzo and Anthony Burgess wrote of in The Godfather and A Clockwork Orange.

Mint, Sage, Rosemary and Cinnamon, what flavour would you choose for your old fashioned tooth powder recipe?
Mint.

You're tasked with programming an independant film festival, what genre do you focus on? Documentary, Horror, Anime, Martial Arts or World Cinema?
World cinema. Italian, perhaps.

Witches, burn them at the stake or dunk them in the lake?
Dunk 'em.

Which city in Europe would you most like to visit during the 2012 London Olympics?
Um, London.


What's the song that you keep listening these days (the repeat curse)?
Lana Del Rey's "Blue Jeans".

The last film you saw in cinema? 3 words to describe it please
Beasts of the Southern Wild. It was hypnotizing.

Childhood crush?
Not sure I really had one.

Think of a soundtrack of a movie and tell me the best song from it, one that you still listen, years after you've seen the film
It's sort of cheating since I only first saw the film two years ago, but the theme from Sweet Smell of Success.

What's that one genre of films that you usually don't watch?
Horror. Too damn predictable, mainly the newer titles.

If you could adapt a book into a movie or miniseries, what would it be and why?
Adam Langer's The Thieves of Manhattan. It just sound like something the Coen brothers would do.

Tell me one actor/actress that you would be starstruck by (imagine you walk in a Starbucks and you see him/her 2 feet from you- possible reaction: eyes wide open, legs shaking, suddenly it's hot in the room)
Robert Downey, Jr.

If you could recommend a book to your readers, what would it be and why?
Adam Ross' Mr. Peanut. It's a deliciously twisted novel.

How would you describe a perfect (or close to perfect) script? What are they key elements it should have?
It has to have good character development, scenes/dialogue that work. You know, the standards.

Favorite British actor/actress? 
Currently, it's a tossup between Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch.

What did you have for lunch?
Lunch? It's morning here.

Okay, now here comes the fun part: choosing who the bloody hell hasn't been tagged for this thing. 11 people though? Ugh, I'll try.
And the questions.
  1. Any actors you show promise for?
  2. Anyone you're hoping makes a comeback soon?
  3. Name someone in Hollywood you find overrated.
  4. What do you do apart from blogging and watching movies?
  5. What TV shows do you watch?
  6. Your most prized DVD?
  7. Do you watch movies in theaters more or at home?
  8. You have the chance to go back in time to see a film premiere. Which film would you see?
  9. Dog or cat person?
  10. Whose movies have you seen the most of? (This can apply to actors and directors.)
  11. Name your guilty pleasure.
God, I hate these things. Thanks anyway though.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks!

    I love your Sabrina idea, though I would hate for anyone to choose anyone over Ryan Gosling :P
    Love your Batman Begins answer as well. Hiddles and Cumby <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the Sabrina idea was from when I did this. http://www.largeassmovieblogs.com/2011/09/lamb-casting-sabrina-results.html

      I'd figured you'd like those answers.

      Delete
  2. Now I'm joining you in the four people doing this award, better add your questions to the list that I am working on now! Nice questions, too, looking forward to answering them, so thanks!

    I'm not sure The Hulk would work well in a more darker setting, based on comics I have read with him and what I know of his character, though it would be interesting.

    Surprised that The Hobbit is your most anticipated film, yet you haven't watched the LOTR trilogy - are you a fan of Tolkien's books, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, no tagbacks! It's in the rules!

      I don't know, I was just bringing up a superhero. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with them.

      I haven't read the books either. I'm pathetic, I know.

      Delete
    2. It'll be interesting to see your opinion on The Hobbit then, and I meant adding your questions for me to answer to my list!

      Delete
  3. Sorry Anna, I know you're not an award person, but that was fun, right? just a little bit? ok, maybe not! sorry
    Great answers, I love your idea of Sabrina, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the awards, just not the rules that come with them.

      Delete
  4. Hey thanks for the tag, I had fun reading your answers too. You haven't seen Lord of the Rings?? So you're anticipating The Hobbit for Benedict right? ;)

    Btw, just to clarify. Your question on 'Any actors you show promise for?' do you mean actors we think are promising even though they haven't been discovered yet?? Am I reading that correctly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...partly that, and my sister is a Lord of the Rings junkie so she kinda made me excited for it.

      I suck at wording questions. That question is referring to actors you have watched and you hope they'll make a name for themselves in Hollywood.

      Delete
  5. So sorry for tagging you after you have been tagged 4 times. Thanks for answering all 55 questions though. That makes me really sad that Lumet directed The Wiz. Interesting that The Hobbit is your most anticipated even though you have not seen LOTR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad. Shows that I'm popular around the blogging world.

      See? That's why Alan Smithee should exist.

      Am I going to be hearing this until December? I plan to see the trilogy before December, okay?

      Delete
  6. You had a lot of questions to answer, so you've done really well. Also, you should give the horror genre another chance. Recently it's risen to become one of my favourite genres because of certain films such as Evil Dead II (1987) and Possession (1981), stunning films, both of them.

    Tagged for the third time, which means I have 33 questions to answer. Put on the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might work on that genre a bit more. But not much scares me.

      Please, I had to answer 55 questions. You have nothing to complain about.

      Delete
  7. Great epic post. The hardest part for me in doing this was trying not to tag someone who had already been tagged. Didn't want them to have to answer 55 questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next to answering so many questions (and thinking of good ones to ask), tagging people was almost impossible.

      Delete
  8. Crazy! You had every right to bury your head and pretend nobody had asked instead of answering 55 questions.

    Mr Peanut is on my "must find" list I believe.

    Just because it's my favourite of the 11 I asked, would you transplant a Philip Marlowe type in to Clockwork Orange and have him solve one of the droogs crimes or perhaps Poirot insinuating himself in to The Family so crack The Mysterious Case of the Horses Head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was originally 44, but then I realized someone else tagged me. I'm just grateful some of the questions were similar.

      Oh, you have to read it. It's so good.

      Hmm, I can picture Marlowe in The Godfather because they're set at around the same period of time. Poirot in A Clockwork Orange because, well, both are British.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.