Monday, April 25, 2011

Separate Tables

You know how most star-studded movies are either a glamorous mess or pitch perfect? Well, Separate Tables is the latter.

The cast of Separate Tables includes David Niven as an alleged war hero, Deborah Kerr as a woman dominated by her mother, Wendy Hiller as the lonely hotel manageress, and Burt Lancaster and Rita Hayworth as  a couple meeting years after their divorce.

Niven and Hiller were the two Oscar winners of the whole cast. Both play people who want to escape the truths of their lives, truths they never want to face. They play their roles quite well, but I wouldn't say they rightfully earned their Oscars.

Out of all the performances, I was particularly fond of Kerr's work. I usually see her in roles where she's the independent woman. But seeing her as a woman afraid to break out of her shell had me quite impressed.

Separate Tables is good, but I wouldn't call it the year's best. (That goes to either The Defiant Ones or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.) The performances are very good, as mentioned before. The movie's not great, but it's quite good.

My Rating: ****1/2

1 comment:

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.