Monday, April 11, 2011

100 Things I Love About Movies

Man, a lot of memes have been floating around the internet lately, haven't they? Anyway, this one has you stating 100 reasons for why you like movies. Oof, this will be painful.
  1. "Well, nobody's perfect."
  2. The acid-soaked dialogue of Sweet Smell of Success
  3. Judy Garland's rendition of "The Man That Got Away"
  4. Montgomery Clift's lone scene in Judgment at Nuremberg
  5. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"
  6. The cinematography of Lawrence of Arabia
  7. Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr's embrace on the beach
  8. The final moments of Requiem for a Dream
  9. Henry Fonda's introduction in Once Upon a Time in the West
  10. "Shut up and deal."
  11. The final scene of On the Waterfront
  12. Tony Curtis' Cary Grant impression
  13. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
  14. Ennis and Jack's reuniting kiss
  15. "I'm as mad as hell and I'm going to take this anymore!"
  16. Lauren Bacall's "look"
  17. Kirk Douglas' ruthlessness
  18. "I can eat fifty eggs."
  19. "Here's looking at you, kid."
  20. "I'm six five, two-twenty and there's two of me."
  21. "You talkin' to me?"
  22. REE-REE-REE-REE-REE!
  23. Dun dun...dun dunn...
  24. The close-up kiss between Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift
  25. "What's in the box?"
  26. Marlene Dietrich's accent
  27. Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor's feuding in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
  28. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
  29. Han shot first
  30. Marlon Brando oozing sexiness in A Streetcar Named Desire
  31. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
  32. Jimmy Stewart's final speech in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  33. Alec Baldwin's lone scene in Glengarry Glen Ross
  34. Matt Damon oozing creepiness in The Talented Mr. Ripley
  35. "I'm just a transvestite."
  36. The ending for It's a Wonderful Life
  37. "They call me Mr. Tibbs!"
  38. The crop duster chasing Cary Grant
  39. The opening credits for Manhattan
  40. Leonardo DiCaprio's descent into madness in The Aviator
  41. The score for Schindler's List
  42. "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"
  43. James Wong Howe's cinematography
  44. The Death Star exploding
  45. Life's honesty in Budd Schulberg's scripts
  46. Harry Lime's first appearance
  47. Norman Bates' stare into the camera
  48. James Cagney's tap dance down the stairs
  49. Frank Galvin's closing statement
  50. The final shot of All About Eve
  51. "The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of."
  52. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."
  53. Jack Lemmon as an all-around nice guy
  54. Gregory Peck's prank on Audrey Hepburn
  55. "I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart."
  56. Paul Newman's blue eyes
  57. Audrey Hepburn's elegance
  58. Cary Grant's suave nature
  59. The cinematography of Children of Men
  60. Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
  61. The finale of Bonnie and Clyde
  62. The quick dialogue of His Girl Friday
  63. Tom Joad's "I'll be there" speech
  64. The slo-mo opening credits to Raging Bull
  65. Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights
  66. William Holden's cynicism
  67. Joaquin Phoenix in Two Lovers
  68. Katharine Hepburn's voice
  69. Jack Nicholson's shark tooth grin
  70. Colin Firth in A Single Man
  71. Elizabeth Taylor's violet eyes
  72. Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter
  73. "I am a golden god!"
  74. The final scene of The Boston Strangler
  75. "You tearing me apart!"
  76. Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot
  77. Paul Newman and Robert Redford's bromance
  78. Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show
  79. John Belushi smashing the guitar
  80. The "magic trick"
  81. Clint Eastwood's squint
  82. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small."
  83. Edith Head's designs
  84. "I'm Spartacus!"
  85. "They call it a Royale with Cheese."
  86. "Here's Johnny!"
  87. "I see dead people..."
  88. Humphrey Bogart in In a Lonely Place
  89. "They're here already! You're next! You're next!"
  90. "Wouldja do me a favor, Harry? Drop dead!"
  91. "I'll have what she's having."
  92. The opening scene of The Philadelphia Story
  93. Michael Shannon's two scenes in Revolutionary Road
  94. "What have you done to its eyes?!"
  95. "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
  96. "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"
  97. The four principal actors of Closer
  98. The visuals from The Nightmare Before Christmas
  99. Rita Hayworth singing "Put the Blame on Mame"
  100. Saul Bass-designed opening credits
Ugh, that was more annoying than I thought.

13 comments:

  1. This is great Anna! Props to #28, #29, #33, #59, #70, #85 and #98 but these are all memorable moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get highest marks for having two of Billy Wilder's "great last lines" in your top ten...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gregory Peck's prank on Audrey Hepburn" - what, what have I missed?

    Gosh, I love the bunch of quotes that you used for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mike Can't go wrong with De Niro.

    @Stevee Thought you would.

    @Andy A lot of these I was just winging. Nice to know someone else agrees with me on them.

    @Mad Wilder always knew how to close a great movie with the right line.

    @Lesya In Roman Holiday, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahaha I had a hard time coming up with my dozen or so in our "Top 100 things we love", I can't imagine having to do the entire list myself ;)

    You have really become a massive black and white movie afficionado in the last few months Anna. No wonder we don't see you as often on AM ;/

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Castor Well, do another one of those Hollywood Fantasy Drafts and I'll be there all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just thought you were talking about something behind the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the list was great Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are quite a few I love...oh god Manhattan's opening is gorgeous ain't it??
    Gotta love Matt Damon's creepiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahaha deal Anna ;) Gimme a couple weeks then.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.