Monday, September 13, 2010

Matchstick Men

Is there one genre Ridley Scott can't direct? I mean, really. Sci-fi (Alien, Blade Runner), crime (American Gangster), epic (Gladiator) and war (Black Hawk Down). I think I proved my point.

Roy (Nicolas Cage) and Frank (Sam Rockwell) are a pair of small-time con artists. Roy has a list of phobias, including obsessive-compulsive disorder and agoraphobia. As they prepare for their next big scam, Roy learns about Angela (Alison Lohman), the daughter he never knew he had.

Having never seen any of Scott's other movies (I'll admit it), I didn't know what to expect. What I got was a hell of an entertaining movie. Cage, of all things, isn't over the top in his performance like he is in his other movies. Rockwell cracked me up. I anticipate for my next venture into the work of Ridley Scott.

My Rating: ****1/2

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Rockwell in this too. One thing that really bothered me was that Lohman is not a convincing teenager. She's always cast so much younger than she really is and it drives me nuts. The fact that she was what, 23? When she shot this was a little distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first Ridley Scott movie you have ever seen??? I envy you, so many more good to great ones to discover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Ridley Scott and I still have not seen this, and now really want too

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is truly underrated and Cage does a really good role when actually doing some acting for a change! Great heist setup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Britni about Lohman and her teenager roles, it makes me pretty umcomfortable since she is like 31 years old (I've looked it up and she was born in 1979!). And regarding Ridley Scott, you'll enjoy most of his word so go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.