Wednesday, September 1, 2010

BOOK VS MOVIE: The Maltese Falcon

Last year, I've taken a larger interest in the classics, for both movies and books. I mean, before I would only watch and read recent releases. Now I prefer stuff that came out before my parents were born. Before I get sidetracked, onto the review.
Private eye Sam Spade is hired by Brigid O'Shaughnessy to look for a man by the name of Floyd Thursby. On the first night of the investigation, Spade's partner Miles Archer is murdered, as with Thursby. While investigating the murders, Spade is approached by a man named Joel Cairo who is searching for a statue known as "the black bird". Another man named Kasper Gutman comes to Spade for the same thing.
What to say about both Dashiell Hammet's novel and John Huston's directorial debut? They're both gripping and thrilling, for starters. The performances in the movie are great and the story flows easily.
What's worth checking out?: I'd go with the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.