Friday, September 10, 2010

The Day the Earth Stood Still

You know how sci-fi movies from the 1950's were just so cheesy? A few managed to avoid the camp factor.

A mysterious flying saucer lands in Washington DC. An alien by the name of Klaatu (Michael Rennie) emerges and is shot, but he recovers. He escapes and hides among the population. Who was he sent by? What is his mission? And why?

Like what's said in the intro, 1950's sci-fi movies are ridiculously dated. Not The Day the Earth Stood Still. It's still effective, even after nearly 60 years. Why they decided to remake it a few years back, I don't know. This is, hands down, one of the best sci-fi movies ever made.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. When they were hyping the Keanu remake of this film, I happened upon a dvd copy of the original on sale for $6.

    I tend not to buy movies I've never seen, but decided to take a gamble on this one. Lordy am I ever glad I did as I'd probably rank it now as one of my favorite classic films.

    Good post! Anyone who hasn't seen this flick should definitely get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree, this is one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Like you mention, it's still effective and a joy to watch. I remember the first time I saw this, I sat down expecting some hokey fun, but I got a great movie instead. I love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.