Friday, March 12, 2010

On the Road

Some classic novels I've read I can see why they are considered classics. Others I question their status.

On the Road is about the many travels of Sal Paradise and Dean Moriarty across America. Throughout their travels, they discover what America is.

One thing I found interesting is that Sal and Dean are actually author Jack Kerouac and Neal Cassady. The long paragraphs throughout the book are somewhat daunting, but keep in mind that Kerouac wrote the book on one long piece of paper. But nonetheless, On the Road is an interesting read.

My Rating: ****

4 comments:

  1. And today is his birthday--Jack Kerouac's. The latest edition of this book, released in 2009, included "the scroll," example of that paper on which it was written. I couldn't read it all at once, but I did get through it, and I think it is a book everyone should read.

    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  2. The line I've always loved from this book goes:

    Anonymity in the world of men is more valuable than fame in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the Road would perhaps rank among my 5 favourite books of alltime. And I'm sure, irrespective of how many good books I might read, this will continue to hold a very special place in my heart. The reason is simple - I fell in love with the theme of the book, that life lies on the road. In fact, irrespective what I am or what I do, somewhere deep down I feel very close to the Beat Generation.

    Again, if you're interested, have a go at my review of this book here - http://culturazzi.org/review/literature/on-the-road-jack-kerouac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Reviews ! I guess this movie would be nice one. I saw some trailers for this movie and was impressed very much. I hope that I would not disappoint with this film.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.