Monday, March 1, 2010

BOOK VS MOVIE: A Streetcar Named Desire


I've recently taken an interest in plays. So far, I've read works by Arthur Miller, David Mamet and Tennessee Williams, the latter I've taken a liking to. Now onto the review.
Aging Southern belle Blanche DuBois comes to live with her sister Stella. Blanche isn't pleased by the cramped conditions, even less pleased by the brutish behavior of Stella's husband Stanley. She and Stanley don't get along at all. Enter Mitch, a poker buddy of Stanley and likely suitor for Blanche. But Stanley may have to do something about this.
This had everything that makes it a work from Tennessee Williams, particularly the "mad heroine". Stanley's arrogant, but for some odd reason Stella stills stays with him. Moving onward, I just adore the performances from Marlon Brando, Vivien Leigh (who replaced original actress Jessica Tandy), Kim Hunter and Karl Malden.
What's worth checking out?: I'd go with both of them.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely both of them. You should try some Eugene O'Neill. He is my favorite playwright.

    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to read the play. I reall ylike the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.