Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sunset Boulevard

"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."

That is the immortal final line of Billy Wilder's 1950 classic Sunset Boulevard.

A body is found floating in the pool of a decaying mansion. In flashbacks, we find out that the body was that of hack screenwriter Joe Gillis (William Holden) and the mansion belonged to faded movie star Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson). Gillis was hired by Desmond to write her comeback. But as the months roll by, Gillis starts losing interest in the project.

Is there one genre Billy Wilder can't do? I mean he's done comedy (Some Like It Hot), war (Stalag 17), romance (Sabrina, The Apartment) and of course film noir (Double Indemnity). Honestly I can't think of one, so that's a sign he's a very versatile director.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. I don't find this movie interesting.Neither it has good performaces nor it has story.Pathetic movie.Don't waste your time on such nonsense movie.Thanks for your movie.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.