Monday, November 21, 2011

The Purple Rose of Cairo

You ever been in a low mood and your first solution is to watch a movie? It has and always will be the best way to forget your problems.

This is the case with Cecilia (Mia Farrow). She has good reason for her moviegoing. She's stuck in an abusive, loveless marriage, she has been fired from her job, and she's looking for an escape from the poverty throughout her neighborhood in Depression-era New Jersey. What better escape than going to the movies?

I've always liked Woody Allen's work (mainly Manhattan and Hannah and Her Sisters), mostly because he knows how to capture the movie's mood. With The Purple Rose of Cairo, he blends the feel of the 1930's with the ambiance of a comedy from that time. Not many movies can do that successfully.

I absolutely love The Purple Rose of Cairo. Farrow and Jeff Daniels have magnificent chemistry together. In fact, the movie acts as though it's from the 1930's. The ending just about crushed my heart, but that didn't stop me from adoring this movie.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my most favourite films ever. The way I could relate to Cecilia, it is indescribable. It made me realise the importance of films in my life. Bless Woody Allen and Mia Farrow and Jeff Daniels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my most favorite Woody Allen films (and that's saying a lot). It is so whimsical and sweet and bless his movie-loving soul for his nod to Buster Keaton.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.