Friday, November 4, 2011

Control

Every now and then, a musical biopic gets released. The more notable examples (and subjects) include Walk the Line (Johnny Cash), Ray (Ray Charles) and The Doors (Jim Morrison).

Control is about Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis. Both names aren't as well known today but back in the late 70's, both were some of the biggest names in the music world. Ian is portrayed by Sam Riley, and he's great in this. He has this little boy lost look on his face, mostly because everything has happened to him so suddenly. His marriage, the success, all occurred when he was still young.

One scene I really liked was when Ian is confronted by his wife Debbie (the always great Samantha Morton) about his affair. She voices her opinion on the matter, but he remains quiet. It isn't until after she leaves the room that Ian falls apart. He tells Debbie that he loves her, and I love Debbie's response: "What does that mean?" Cold but honest.

Control is such a great movie. Anton Corbijn, a photographer before becoming a director, makes this appear as though he's been making movies for years rather than for the first time. Control looks like a living photograph, chronicling the struggles of a man whose life slowly consumed him.

My Rating: *****

5 comments:

  1. I loved this film. Made me the Joy Division fan I am today. I always feel so sad about Curtis's short life because it was not drugs and stuff which killed him, but his illness. Sam Riley is brilliant, and they were so right about making it in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to confess, I saw this one for the Joe Anderson. Nonetheless, I watched it and really enjoyed it. Ian Curtis is a brilliantly human yet ultimately frustrating individual, and I think the movie did a good job paying homage without making it "too pretty". Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a bleak, well-made film. good performance by riley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have it and it's on my list to see, but I haven't got the chance to see it, yet!Sam Reily is great!I will check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I've been curious about this one in a while. Sam Riley is one of those young Brits I have yet to 'discover' but have been meaning to. He reminds me a bit of Dominic Cooper and Jim Sturgess.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.