Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Breakfast Club

Even after his passing several years ago, I still haven't seen much of John Hughes' work. The only titles I can brag about are Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Doesn't mean I'm not trying.

As most everyone knows, Hughes captured the many awkward moments in a teenager's life. (Who hasn't gone "That was so me in high school!" when watching one of his movies?) Ferris Bueller's Day Off made me realize I need to live life to the fullest while I'm still young. (I didn't steal my dad's Ferrari though. Or in reality, his Porsche.)

The Breakfast Club shows the many types of teenagers you'll find in the average high school: the brain (Anthony Michael Hall), the athlete (Emilio Estevez), the princess (Molly Ringwald), the criminal (Judd Nelson) and the basketcase (Ally Sheedy). I knew these exact types of people in high school, so I could understand them and their problems. (For me, I'm a weird mix between Nelson and Sheedy.)

I got a good kick of nostalgia from this. (I'm only a college freshman, but whatever.) Of course high school was hell for me as I'm sure it was for everyone else, but one thing is for certain however. It's about the people you from then.

My Rating: ****1/2

5 comments:

  1. High School is only hell because of the pointless drama. Why must people cause that crap? I don't know.

    Glad you finally got around to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this weird affinity for high school movies, even if using all that film and tv as a discerning factor the American Public school system is significantly different from ours. The thing about The Breakfast Club is that it's such a staple in moviedom that even if you haven't seen it, you feel you have because so many of the movies have make nods to it. It's a sweet movie, ridiculously so but even a curmudgeon like me can't resist it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judd Nelson plays one of the coolest characters ever in this. Love the mix of bullish, sexist, antagonistic behaviour with the vunerability that lurks beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend John Hughes' Sixteen Candles if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't a huge John Hughes fan, but I enjoyed this one and Sixteen Candles. Molly Ringwald is fun to watch in her younger years.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.