Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The 400 Blows


Twenty-five years ago today, French film director Francois Truffant died of a brain tumor. He was 52. In honor of this famed filmmaker I have decided to review his best-known work, his directorial debut The 400 Blows (which also turns 50 this year).

Antoine Doinel (Jean-Pierre Leaud) is a young teenager who always seems to be getting into trouble, whether at home or at school. He skips school and roams throughout Paris, which only gets him into more trouble.

As all hardcore cinephiles know, The 400 Blows was one of the first films of the French New Wave. The French New Wave marked a turning point in cinema, with the New Hollywood era starting less than a decade later.

I appreciate the movie very much, but I believe the movie was from Antoine's point of view. I mean, there is no way an adult can abuse a child that much and get away with it. Before I go into a ranting frenzy, I'll say what I liked. The images of Paris are beautifully shot in black and white, the acting is good, and the dialogue is smart.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your assessment, that it is Antoine's point of view. The ending really left me wanting to see more. An unforgettable film.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.