Thursday, July 5, 2012

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

There are always those misunderstood movies that come around about every year or so. Sometimes the critics don't like them. Other times they just don't capture the right audience. The result either way is that these movies deserve a second chance.

Take Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. the World as an example. I was already familiar with Wright from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (although I shamefully admit I've yet to actually see them). I figured an appropriate introduction to his work would be his most recent movie.

Did I get what I wanted out of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World? You bet I did, and more. It's pretty much the most awesome movie I saw this year. (Well, next to The Avengers.) Also, I can't be the only one who thought it was amusing that Ramona used to date Captain America AND Superman.

It's the many aspects that went into the movie that I like, such as the actors (Kieran Culkin was my favorite) and the fight scenes (Wright likened them to song and dance numbers in musicals but with more punching and ass-kicking). However, my favorite thing about Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was its many quotable lines. (I pretty much lost it at "Chicken isn't vegan?")

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is pretty awesome. Sure, there were a few flaws here and there, but it's still really fun to watch. Oh, and if you're buying this on DVD, Blu-ray is a must.

My Rating: ****

4 comments:

  1. I love this film. To bits. It's so awesome. Culkin and Pill are my favourite, though I adore Cera.
    You must watch the other Edgar Wright films too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't love the film -- which seems to be an issue with a whole lot of people. It's good, adolescent fun though.

    Glad you caught up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this. I would've preferred someone other than Michael Cera as the lead, but the supporting cast really stole the show. I loved Keiran and Alison Pill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really loved this movie! too bad it's so misunderstood. if you play video games then the more reason to love this movie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.