Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Double Life of Veronique

Krzysztof Kielslowski's The Double Life of Veronique is a simple film...at least to those who have seen only stills of it. In reality, it's much more deeper.

The film revolves around Polish singer Weronika and French music teacher Veronique, both played by Irene Jacob. Apart from their affinity for music, the two women share no connection, emotional, physical or personal. However, there is a sort of mental bond between them.

It's fascinating to see two different women actually share so much in common. The way Kielslowski depicts it is in a way most directors rarely use: honest and quiet. And the moment where Weronika encounters Veronique is lovely in execution.

There's more to the film than Jacobs' dual roles and Kielslowski's direction. There's Zbigniew Preisner's gorgeous score and Slawomir Idziak's even more gorgeous cinematography. Bear in mind, I haven't felt this way about a film since I first saw A Single Man over two years ago. When the score and cinematography play an important role in a film as much as the acting and direction, that's always a very good sign.

I usually never completely fall in love with a film I rarely knew about prior to watching, but The Double Life of Veronique is one of those very few exceptions. It's a very delicate and beautiful film, which is very rare in cinema nowadays. Saying the film left me speechless is a vast understatement.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. This review put a big smile on my face. Glad you liked the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fantastic film that is so hard to put into words. I find myself constantly shifting in how I approach and understand the film which keeps me coming back to it time and time again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.