Monday, January 23, 2012

A Fistful of Dollars

It was inevitable. Sooner or later I would see the trilogy Sergio Leone made with Clint Eastwood. So I started off with A Fistful of Dollars.

Having seen Once Upon a Time in the West, I had a good sense as to what Leone shows in a Western. I also had a sense of what the two main characters would are like. Those characters are the aloof but determined anti-hero and the villain who is the epitome of ruthless.

Eastwood introduced his iconic "Man with No Name" here and boy, does he make the most of it. His presence is most definitely felt, especially during the final shootout. No one does badass better than Eastwood.

A Fistful of Dollars is Leone's take on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo. I myself haven't seen Kurosawa's film, so I can't have my say on if Leone stayed true. I will say I plan to seek out Yojimbo in the near future.

I really liked A Fistful of Dollars. I finally realized how much of a BAMF Eastwood really is. Also, I anticipate what the two other films hold for me.

My Rating: ****1/2

3 comments:

  1. Nice, glad you liked it. Next up: For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and The Ugly? Be interested to hear your thoughts on those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to be anal, but those three films are not a trilogy. While they have the same three actors in them, they play different characters in each film. It would be like saying all the Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy movies were a connected series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always considered them an indirect trilogy like von Trier's Breaking the Waves, The Idiots and Dancer in the Dark or Kieślowski's Three Colors. But yeah, technically, they're all different.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.