Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Eastern Promises

Videodrome. The Fly. Crash. A History of Violence. These are just a few of David Cronenberg's movies. Another to throw in would be his most recent: Eastern Promises.

After a Russian teenager dies during childbirth, midwife Anna Khitrova (Naomi Watts) decides to investigate her past. While searching for answers, her quest brings her to members of the Russian Mafia and has her curious on the mysterious Nikolai Luzhin (Viggo Mortensen), the family's driver.

For the ladies, there are three words I have to convince you to see Eastern Promises: Viggo gets naked. Holy smokes, it's a sight for sore eyes. And before this become a X-rated review, I shall move on.

Eastern Promises is Cronenberg's take on the gangster genre. Mortensen gives a performance that is sensual, charming and badass. This was my intro to Cronenberg, so I didn't know what to expect. What I got was a movie that blew my mind and kicked some serious ass.

My Rating: ****1/2

3 comments:

  1. I love this movie so much! Its definintely in my top 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez! Is there a movie that doesn't get at least 4 stars on this blog ahaha ;) At least, you aren't very difficult Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this film. I actually prefer it to History of Violence which was also terrific. Cronenberg's recent films have all been of a high standard. He's a master of the art and remains his own director who isn't influenced by big studios. I like that about him.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.