Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have one of the most successful collaborations in Hollywood. They've worked together on six movies (soon to be seven with the March release of Alice in Wonderland), all of which garnering critical acclaim for both. Their most recent movie Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is, by far, both their best work together and the bloodiest movie I've ever seen.

Depp plays the title character of Sweeney Todd, a barber who returns to London after fifteen years of exile for a crime he didn't commit. The person who sentenced him was the corrupt Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman) and now Sweeney swears revenge on Turpin. Sweeney returns to find a meat pie shop open where the owner Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) explains to Sweeney that his wife Lucy is dead and his daughter Johanna is in the hands of Turpin. Sweeney opens a barbershop above her store, and soon goes on a murderous rampage.

When I finished watching the movie, I was surprised that Burton could do something that's darker than all of his other dark films combined. Depp, on the other hand, was BRILLIANT. He really showed that he can sing, as well as Carter. But, I'll admit, I spent a portion of the movie with my hands over my eyes.

My Rating: ****

3 comments:

  1. While I think this film is extremely bloody, i still have to say that "The Devil's Rejects" is the bloodiest film I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite movies!! I am a HUGE Tim Burton and Depp fan and cannot wait for Alice in Wonderland. Sweeny Todd was great!

    shutupimreading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of great movie that I ever seen. The film is dDirected by Tim Burton with Norman Campbell Rees as Pie Customer, Aron Paramor as Policeman, Harry Taylor as Mr. Lovett.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.